In this unit, students will be taught basics in microbiology and associated gene transfer techniques involving plasmids and enzymes. They will discuss the ethical issues related to genetically modified food and cloning. They will also make extensive use of computer-based technologies for the identification and processing of large sequences of nucleic acid.
Microorganisms can be used and modified to perform industrial processes. Biotechnology can be used in the diagnosis and treatment of disease.
- B.1 Microbiology: organisms in industry
- B.2 Biotechnology in agriculture
- B.3 Environmental protection
- B.4 Medicine
- B.5 Bioinformatics
The detailed curriculum can be consulted here.
Labs and activities
- BOOK CHAPTER - Option B
- LAB - Cloning activity
- POSTER - Gene Regulation Timeline
- PROJECT - Biopharming project
- PAPER STUDY - Dispersing biofilms
- WORKSHEET - Transferin tracking