In this unit, students will learn the process of photosynthesis as well as the factors that are needed for the process. Students will be introduced to the internal structure of the leaf through labeling. They will also learn to describe how roots have adapted to absorb water and how this is done through the xylem. This will also be illustrated through experiments. The plant biomass and its use will be presented. Students will compare the differences and similarities between photosynthesis and respiration.
- Understands the purpose of photosynthesis for the plant, and for consummers
- Can explain the differences between Photosynthesis and Respiration
- Can write and balance equations of photosynthesis
- Can draw and annotate the internal structure of a leaf
- Can describe absorption of water by roots and transport to the leaves via the xylem
- Explain the applications of plant biomass
- Knows how an organism's ability to regulate its internal environment enables the organism to obtain and use resources, grow, reproduce, and maintain stable internal conditions while living in a constantly changing external environment