In this unit, students will review the material on atomic structure and bonding covered in Grade 9. The bonding in simple covalent and ionic compounds will be discussed and related to the electronic structure of the atoms from which the compound is formed.
Balanced Learners - Communicating efficiently – concisely and precisely in oral presentations and lab reports
C3.4 Ions and ionic bonds
- Describe the formation of ions by electron loss or gain
- Describe the formation of ionic bonds between elements from Groups I and VII.
- Supplement: Explain the formation of ionic bonds between metallic and non-metallic elements
C3.5 Molecules and covalent bonds
- State that non-metallic elements form nonionic compounds using a different type of bonding called covalent bonding involving shared pairs of electrons
- Supplement: Draw dot-and-cross diagrams to represent the sharing of electron pairs to form single covalent bonds in simple molecules, exemplified by H2, Cl2, H2O, CH4 and HCl