In this unit, students will be learning about the basic functions that define life. Experiments will be done do allow students to understand the concepts better.
List and describe the characteristics of living organisms
Define the terms:
- nutrition as taking in of nutrients which are organic substances and mineral ions, containing raw materials or energy for growth and tissue repair, absorbing and assimilating them
Discuss about the unity of all living organisms (processes, genetic material, etc.) and think about how it affects being a Global Citizen of this world.
- excretion as removal from organisms of toxic materials, the waste products of metabolism (chemical reactions in cells including respiration) and substances in excess of requirements
- respiration as the chemical reactions that break down nutrient molecules in living cells to release energy
- sensitivity as the ability to detect or sense changes in the environment (stimuli) and to make responses
- reproduction as the processes that make more of the same kind of organism
- growth as a permanent increase in size and dry mass by an increase in cell number or cell size or both • movement as an action by an organism or part of an organism causing a change of position or place