In this HL unit, students will deepen their knowledge about the human physiology (Topic 6), covering aspects ranging from vaccination, skeletal movement, osmoregulatiom, and production of gametes. The implications of evolution through natural selection (Topic 5) on disease will be discussed, as well as the challenges faced by communicating increasingly complex medical issues.
Immunity is based on recognition of self and destruction of foreign material. All animals excrete nitrogenous waste products and some animals also balance water and solute concentrations. Sexual reproduction involves the development and fusion of haploid gametes.
The cost of scientific fake news on global health
The challenges faced by scientific communication in a connected world
- Antibody production and vaccination
- The kidney and osmoregulation
- Sexual reproduction
The detailed curriculum can be consulted here.
- POWERPOINT SLIDES - Topic 11: Animal physiology
- WORKSHEET - Immunue System Review
- LAB - Kidney dissection
- POSTER - The body's three lines of defense
- ARTICLE - Why fear of vaccination is spelling disaster in the developing world